Entertainers, prizes and more will entice Fidalgo Island’s youngest readers to “Dream Big-Read!” during this year’s summer reading program at the Anacortes Public Library.
Sign-ups start Monday for kids age birth to 19. The program ends Aug. 3. Pre-readers can be read to by their parents or older siblings and earn special prizes.
Children use the library’s special reading log to keep track of their time spent reading and challenge themselves to read at least 800 minutes during the summer. When the children reach 400 minutes of reading, they earn coupons from local businesses. At 800 minutes the children choose a free paperback book of their own.
There will also be several drawings for special prizes. A grand prize drawing for a bicycle will be held by the six Skagit County libraries.
In connection with the reading program, the library will offer free programs for kids.
• Jason Quick, a well-known juggler and inspirational speaker, will perform at 3 p.m. Thursday, June 28 in the community meeting room. Quick will dazzle children with his one-armed juggling skills and encourage them to dream big! No registration necessary for this free program.
• Ventriloquist Andy Locke on Thursday, July 12.
• Magician Louie Foxx on Thursday, July 19.
• Musicians Cowboy Buck and Elizabeth on Thursday, July 26.
• Reptile man on Thursday, Aug. 2.
Other summer library events:
• Baby Storytime at 9:30 a.m. Mondays in the meeting room.
• Preschool/Family Storytime at 9:30 a.m. Mondays in the Children’s Library.
• Crafts at 10 a.m. Mondays in the story room.
• Toddler Playgroup at 10:30 a.m. Mondays in the meeting room.
• Brown Bag Lunch and a Movie in the story room — noon Tuesday, June 26 “Hugo;” noon Tuesday, July 3 “Adventures of Tintin;” and noon Tuesday, July 10 “Dreamer.”
• Tales for Tails in the meeting room 1-2:15 p.m. Tuesdays, July 17 to Aug. 14.
• Legos at 4 p.m. Wednesdays in the Children’s Library.
• Children’s rhythm, movement and stories at 10:30 a.m. Fridays in the meeting room.
Questions? Visit library.cityofanacortes.org.
No comments found.